Webscorer PRO v4.8 now supports also active chip timing with Race Result hardware. Active chips have a battery whereas passive (RFID) chips do not. Support for Race Result passive chips was already added in an earlier release.
BENEFITS OF ACTIVE CHIP TIMING
1. Better timing accuracy
- Passive chips (RFID) are typically accurate only to +/- 0.2 seconds
- Active chips can reach accuracy up to +/- 0.004 seconds
2. More reliable detections
- Passive chips (RFID) rely on “line of sight”, another racer can block detection
- Active chips typically achieve 100% detection rates
3. Less intrusive antenna
- Passive chips (RFID) require large mat or panel antennas
- Active chips use a simple wire loop antenna that can be buried underground or in snow
4. Inexpensive & easy hardware setup
- The reader (USB box) and antenna costs only USD 2,300
- The reader gets its power via the USB cable from the timing device
- The antenna is super simple to install & connect
5. Enables chip timing for sports not typically suitable for RFID chip timing
- Motor sports where 0.01 second accuracy is required
- Road bike racing where RFID antenna placement is impractical
- Triathlons & swimming where a waterproof chip is necessary
DRAWBACKS OF ACTIVE CHIP TIMING
1. Chips are expensive
- The least expensive active chip costs USD 40
2. Chips are not programmable
- The 7-character chip ID must be assigned as “Chip ID” to each racer on the start list
- Webscorer PRO supports using e.g. just the last 3 characters of the ID to simplify setup
Race Result passive chip timing is supported on iOS, Android, Windows and Mac devices.
Race Results active chip timing is supported on Windows devices.
PRO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED
Both the passive and active chip timing with Race Result hardware requires the PRO Automated timing subscription.