Release & Waiver of Liability
I, the above named person, being above the age of eighteen, or the legal guardian of the above named person who is under 18, in consideration of the services of the Crazy Lazy Race organizers and their officers, volunteers, participants, employees and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on their behalf, including any sponsors or promoters, hereby agree to release and discharge the Crazy Lazy Race organizers and any additional insured companies on behalf of myself, my heirs, assigns, personal representatives and estate as follows:
1. I understand and acknowledge that the mountain race I am about to engage in as a participant bears certain known risks and unanticipated risks which could result in physical or emotional injury, death, paralysis, or damage to myself or spectators or other third parties. I understand that such risks simply cannot be eliminated without jeopardizing the essential qualities of the race.
The Following List Describes Some of the Risks Associated with Mountain Trail Running:
1. The risks inherent to mountain trail running.
2. Acts of other participants.
3. Risks incurred due to inclement weather conditions, including but not limited to high winds, rain, snow as well as excessive heat.
4. Risks incurred due to hazardous contact with plants or wild animals.
5. My own physical condition, or my own acts or omissions.
6. Risks incurred due to conditions of the race trail or terrain.
7. Risks incurred from receiving First Aid, emergency treatment or other wilderness medical services rendered.
8. Risks incurred due to the distance of this activity’s location from emergency medical facilities.
2. Being aware that this activity entails known and unknown risks of injury to myself and a risk of injury to spectators or other third parties as a result of my actions, I expressly agree, covenant, and promise to accept and assume all responsibility and risk for injury, death, illness or disease, or damage to myself to others arising from my participation in this race. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary, no one is forcing me to participate, and I elect to participate in spite of the risks.
3. I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to hold harmless and indemnify the Crazy Lazy Race organizers and their employees, volunteers and all other persons or entities from any liability, claims, demands, actions or rights of actions, which are related to, arise out of, or are in any way connected with my participation in this race, including specifically but not limited to, the acts or omissions of the Crazy Lazy Race organizers, their volunteers or employees, and all other persons or entities for any and all injury, death, illness or disease, and damage to myself.
4. Should it become necessary for the Crazy Lazy Race organizers or someone on the Race organizers behalf, to incur attorney’s fees and costs to enforce this agreement, or any part thereof, I agree to pay the Race organizers reasonable costs and attorney’s fees thereby expended, or for which liability is incurred.
5. I certify that I have sufficient health, accident and liability insurance to cover any bodily injury I may incur while participating in this event and to cover bodily injury caused to a third party as a result of my participation in this event. If I have no such insurance, I certify that I am willing to and capable of personally paying for any and all such expenses or liability.
6. In the event that I file a lawsuit against the Crazy Lazy Race organizers, I agree to do so solely in the state of Alaska, and I further agree that the substantive law of that state shall apply in that action without regard to the conflict of law rules of that state.
7. If the race participant is under the age of 18, I certify that I am his or her parent and/or legal guardian. I also certify that the child is of sufficient age, strength, stamina and mental capacity to complete this challenging and dangerous activity on their own, and understand the race organizers are not responsible for the safety of unattended or attended minors.
IN SIGNING THIS TWO PAGE DOCUMENT, I FULLY RECOGNIZE THAT IF ANYONE IS HURT WHILE I AM ENGAGED IN THIS EVENT, I WILL HAVE FREELY GIVEN UP MY RIGHT TO MAKE A CLAIM OR FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE CRAZY LAZY RACE ORGANIZERS, AS WELL AS THEIR OFFICERS, AGENTS, VOLUNTEERS AND EMPLOYEES, INCLUDING SPONSORS, EVEN IF THEY OR ANY OF THEM CAUSED THE BODILY INJURY. I RECOGNIZE THAT MOUNTAIN TRAIL RUNNING IS INHERENTLY RISKY AND DANGEROUS AND I AM PARTICIPATING IN THIS EVENT IN SPITE OF THE RISKS. CHECKING THE BOX BELOW INDICATES THAT I HAVE READ THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT, UNDERSTAND IT COMPLETELY, UNDERSTAND THAT IT AFFECTS MY LEGAL RIGHTS, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS.